Business Resources

Home → Business Resources → Permitting



Click Here to Apply for Permits Online

How to Apply for an Online Permit

Community Development Fee Schedule

 How long will a permit take to be issued?

If all the required items are submitted with the permit package, it will take 7-14 days.

Residential Permit Packet                    Commercial Permit Packet

A complete list of permits required for construction can be downloaded by clicking here

 Establishing a Business in Sulphur Springs is simple. 

The Process

  • If you are locating to a facility that requires no alterations, is properly zoned, and you have obtained a Certificate of Occupancy from the Building Official you are ready to setup your business.
  • If you are locating a restaurant in the community, a health inspection, Health Permit and a Certificate of Occupancy is required before opening.
  • If you are locating into an existing facility that will require modifications inside, a Building Permit will be required. Commercial Permits require two copies of your building plan in hardcopy as well as a copy on CD.  Sulphur Springs subscribes to the International Existing Building Code for existing buildings and the International Building Code 2018 for new buildings. 
  • If you are locating downtown and plan to make improvements to the outside of the building, you will need to fill out a Certificate of Design Application  and obtain approval from the Downtown Revitalization Board.
  • If you are building a facility and need to Plat or Rezone the property, you will need to file the forms with the and Zoning Department before filing for a Building Permit.
  • If the building you are moving into has not been occupied for one year, you may need to call the Business Office at 903-885-7541, option #1 to order a new water tap.
  • To turn on utilities, call the Business Office at 903-885-7541, Option #1.

We are here to serve you. We will walk you through any of the processes required to make sure you feel welcomed and to help assure your success in Sulphur Springs.


  • Your business may qualify for incentives. For more information on incentives and grants, contact the Economic Development Corporation and the Business Service Center.
  • Whether you are a current business or a start-up, the Small Business Development Center has a wide array of free resources. They will assist you in loan applications, business planning, market research, and more.
  • To apply for a fictional name or “Doing Business As”, you will need to contact the Hopkins County Courthouse in person and fill out an application. The courthouse is located on the Sulphur Springs Square. 
  • If you are seeking a DUNS number, often required for federal assistance, the application is free and can be filled out online. The website is
  • You may be interested in acquiring an Employer Identification Number (EIN) for business and tax purposes. The application is free may be applied for online at
  • To apply for an LLC, Corporation, Franchise Tax filings, Sales Tax filings, or other business needs that are not conducted at the local level, please visit the State’s Comptroller website at and the Secretary of State’s website at
©2015 Sulphur Springs Texas.  Powered By Revize Login