Parks & Recreation
Your journey through our park begins on a concrete 2.5 mile walking trail which circles the lake, takes you past two breathtaking waterfalls, over three bridges, through a tunnel, and finally connects you to the soccer and baseball fields. The park has numerous recreational and sporting facilities, consisting of 7 soccer fields, 3 baseball fields, 3 softball fields, 2 tennis courts, a fishing pier, several picnic areas (equipped with charcoal grills and tables), a playground area, a 1/3 mile nature trail, and 2 concession stands located in the soccer and baseball areas.
The generous donation of land by John, Wayne, and Diana Lanier, along with 166 acres of city-owned land, made the Coleman project a possibility. The park, composed of approximately 186 acres, is located right off of Interstate-30 within the city limits. Events at Coleman Park include:
- Hopkins County Girls Softball Association - Dixie Softball 14U State Tournament
- USFA - USFA Fast Pitch Softball (2)
- Pony Organization - Pony Elite Softball Tournament
- USFA Fast Pitch Softball Northeast Texas Regional Qualifier Tournament
- USFA Fast Pitch Softball- Blue Santa Tournament
- USFA Fast Pitch Softball - Coleman Park Warm Up
- USFA Fast Pitch Softball - Coleman Park Fall Bash (6)
- Fast Pitch Softball Association - End of Summer Bash
- Dixie T-Ball Tournaments
- Texas Elite Softball Tournament
Sulphur Springs Old City Park, is located at the west end of Connally Street, opposite of the Hopkins County Courthouse. A one-acre castle playground built in 1997, known as Kids Kingdom, is one of the main features of these wooded grounds. This recreational area also includes lighted baseball fields, walking/jogging trails, gazebos, pavilion, Peavine Pinion pond with a lighted boardwalk, a skateboard park and basketball court. In 2009, the park became home to the World Champion Hopkins County Stew Contest. Events at Buford Park include:
- Hopkins County EMS - Hot August Nights
- Hopkins County Chamber of Commerce - Texas State Champion Homemade Ice Cream Freeze Off
- Hopkins County Chamber of Commerce - World Champion Hopkins County Stew Cook Off
- Hopkins County Fall Festival Committee - Hopkins County Fall Festival
A playground located on the city’s east side at Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive between Ross and Beckham Streets. This park has a splash and spray aquatic activity pad. Events at Pacific Park include the Juneteenth Festival.
Sulphur Springs Lake
Lake Sulphur Springs sits on White Oak Creek and mainly serves as a backup source to the city's water supply. Anglers fish here, but the crappie and catfish population are only rated fair and they tend to be small. The best bet for harvestable fish are the blue and channel catfish; you won't see many largemouth bass. The lake is less than 2 miles north of town and has a surface area of 1,340 acres and depth of 28 feet.
Cooper Lake State Park
Horseback riding, fishing, swimming, camping and boating are the main attractions at Cooper Lake State Park, 15 minutes north of town. The sandy swimming beach with a breakwater is a popular place to enjoy the day, and there's an area for jet skis and a boat ramp nearby. The fishing pier is a good place to throw in your line or just hang on the rail and look at the lake. Horse lovers favor the park for its equestrian camping and riding trails -- near the lake or through the forest on the Buggy Whip Equestrian Trail that covers almost 600 acres over 10 miles.